Thursday 8 May 2014

DAY 212: El reencuentro ecuatoriano

After my wee break in Barcelona I had some visitors come to Madrid - Graeme and Elaine who I spent my "gap yah" with in Ecuador. They weren´t staying with me, to their own benefit of not having to deal with my unwashed dishes, stench from the shower drain and general mess, and despite me having to go to work in the mornings, it was so great to see them in the afternoons. 

On Monday, after a reasonably busy day of work and a fair amount of sweating in my tight pencil skirt, which I really shouldn´t be wearing in this weather, I headed off to meet the others for some chill time in the Retiro Park...truly one of my favourite places in the world. Now, seeing as we don´t have a beach here in Madrid, this is where people go to tan and so to Matt´s delight (Graeme´s friend), I found a nice wee patch with lots of practically naked women. After that, I took them to another great place, the Círculo de las Bellas Artes, which has a rooftop bar overlooking Madrid. It´s so lovely, and although expensive, is really worth it. We indulged in some cava, whilst Graeme kept saying to me "you have such a great life here Sarah" and although I guess I do, I had to remind him, that drinking cava on a rooftop bar in the sun isn´t actually part of my daily life here.....maybe for someone from Made In Chelsea though! The next stop was to my favourite restaurant in Plaza Santa Ana, Tartufo, where I have been far too many times, showing the others the Spanish way of ordering lots of tapas and gorging on sides of jamón and manchego cheese. I felt bad not going out with them after the meal, of which the last hour consisted of taking each other´s phones and messaging people on Tinder, but Graeme had a wee "date" planned anyway and Andrew, who came along with us, took Matt out for a few drinks after too... it was sleepy time for me though as I´ve started trying to be "sensible" during weekdays....hmmm....

Drama happened on Tuesday, the crack of the screen of my beautiful iphone causing it to completely not light up at all. I´m a phone addict so this was just not an acceptable occurance, and it especially did not help for later on when I was meant to be meeting the others. However, all got fabby, I was recommended a phone repair shop in town, and left my poor baby there all beaten up, to be collected later all fabulous and new. Anyway, I was meeting the others (and Lucy) to go to the Madrid Open (ATP World Tour) and it was so much fun. They had got there earlier whilst I was at work and then Lucy and I joined them about 4pm just in time for the brilliant Ferrer/Ramos match. Ferrer won, much to what seemed the crowd´s delight, as even though they are both Spanish, Ramos is Catalan...oooh. The others really enjoyed it and it was their first time watching live professional tennis so I was really glad I got us tickets. And my mum, the tennis addict, was very jealous. Elaine then had to rush off for her flight and Lucy off on a date (people are getting lucky this week ;) ) and so Graeme, Matt and I then went off for yet another meal out, before again, I called it a day.

I feel like I´ve had a non-stop couple of weeks what with Izzy coming, then being ill, then going to Barcelona and then having the Ecuador lot here, but I can´t really complain...it´s not a bad life! Knackered yesterday, I had a big siesta and avoided once again any cleaning, and today I finished my uni essay, finally (nothing else to do at work)...so I´m a pretty happy bunny. Emma´s birthday night out this weekend with perhaps another wee trip to the Retiro but apart from that, not much else to do but enjoy my last 4 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment