Friday 30 May 2014

DAY 224: El trabajo

1 week at work left....whaaat? Thought I would do a few more blogs over the next week to "finish up" the experience. 

1. Mabel - Mabel Mabel, how many times have I mentioned Mabel in this blog? Too many! Why? Because I love her. Went out for lunch on Wednesday with her and all we talked about was boys and getting drunk - a very intellectual conversation of course. I didn´t realise Mabel was such a wee "party animal". She was telling me all these stories about how she was chundering at the weekend, and how she got pissed on Monday night by herself and was really hungover on Tuesday. I had no idea. Like her even more now. So fun. She was also telling me the whole big story about how she met her boyfriend of 8 years. 15 years older, divorced with two kids, and from the photos, I´m sorry Mabel but he is not a looker. He is punching! She then advised me to stay away from Spanish men, which of course I already knew, and then quizzed me on my love life, saying that the men in the office "drool over me"..I was like hahaha Mabel, you´re so funny...the only boy who drools over me is my dog, Djibril. 

2. María Ángeles - The girl who sits opposite me. Love her a wee bit too. She always talks about her obsesssion for Ryan Gosling, which of course is one of my obsessions too, so we get on pretty well. She thinks I am a "party animal" and always says she´s jealous that I´m 21. She´s 35 and married to a handsome French man and they have the cutest daughter who I am always being showed pictures of. 

3. Cristina, Lucía and Gabi - Another 3 of the girls working in my department and again all so lovely. Lucía is really quiet and doesn´t look Spanish at all what with her ginger hair and freckles. Cristina is just really laid back and "hippy", and Gabi is one of these people who is always in a good mood and always calling me "Saritaaaa". 

4. Almudena. "Almu" as she gets called. Oh Almu. What a name. She´s kind of dull but I guess nice. I just like the fact she gets called "Almu".

5. Nacho. "Nacho" is the nickname for any guy called Ignacio in Spain. It´s a bit like Michael to Mike. He´s sweet. The only man in our department. Very touchy feely, as all the Spanish are, and is proud new dad to his daughter "Blanca"...aka "White". I´ll miss Spanish names!

6. Pedro, beautiful Pedro. Have to go and see him on Monday to say goodbye and to give him his Hendrick´s gin which my father told me to buy for him. "It´s made in Scotland Sarah, it´s made in Scotland!" I never see Pedro because he works in a different department but I know him because he´s friends with my dad and organised the internship for me. It´s so funny when he comes up to our floor because every woman just sits there, mouth open and staring. He´s a very nice man - his nephew not so much, and ugh, his nephew is starting work here on Monday and says we have to "go for a coffee together" - all the girls in the office are teasing me.

7. Working in events. Got called down to one of the event rooms today, and expecting to be helping out, the event had finished and they were all just sitting there chatting with the left over food, which of course I pounced at. When your money situation is low, you take all the free food you can! This a fairly normal occurance.

8. The tower. So I work in a tower in the north of Madrid which has 50 floors and I am on floor 47. Takes so long every morning to get up there as the lift stops at practically every floor. It´s like the bloody metro. The view over Madrid is absolutely amazing though.

All in all, I´m really going to miss work. At times it has been super dull and there have been times when I´ve had shit all to do, but no, generally it has been a great experience and everyone on the team is so lovely. They are throwing me a farewell party next Thursday, starting off with dinner and then apparently going "loco" (As Mabel put it) with a night out afterwards. The last day of work is going to be emosh, especially on a hang.

No comments:

Post a Comment